Melaka is dangerous...

It’s my birthday!! Wee!!! One year older!! Wee!!

Damn it!

It doesn’t matter, one year older means one year wiser. Or maybe not? Welp, you’re only as old as you think you are. And I feel, pretty… erm… 16? Hohoho…

Anyway, to save myself from wallowing in self pity, I’m throwing myself a small little party at my own humble home today, starting at 7pm later.

Nothing fancy; buffet, cakes, games, and lots of alcohol. I’m not drinking k, no matter what you do, you ain’t making me drink. My throat still kills so I’m cutting off from any liquor, or beer, or wine… But you have to drink, coz I’m going to make you do stupid stuff.. haha…

Will update when the actual party/gathering happens…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The oddest thing just happened two days ago.

I was out in town looking for an old friend to discuss matters on the planning of my birthday event, when I received this call from a friend, which I have known for two years, who recently just returned from Ireland for CNY. I had promised to meet him up but totally forgot about it due to my not so perky moments earlier in the month.

So we made it a point to meet up that day, and thus the strange occurrence.

Remember when I said that Melaka is such a small town? I can’t remember which post, probably from a very old post in my friendster, and probably it has already been deleted by friendster, I’m not sure. But anyway, I remember myself describing Melaka in a way, that practically everyone in this town somehow knows one another one way or the other.

Take the local one and only famous bar for example, Purebar (but I think sunshine bar is another rising star here), if ever you wanna meet a friend, an old friend, friends you have lost contact with for many years who reside in Melaka, or just any local friend that you are too lazy to keep in contact with; go to Purebar on a weekend night, you’ll meet a whole group of them.

That’s how I bumped into a fair number of my high school mates on a Saturday night which I have never met for at least 3-6 years (damn it! I should have known), and imagine, I have not stayed in Melaka for 6 years before that. That’s how freaking small this place is, don’t underestimate how closely connected each and every citizen of this town/state is.

Back to my point, so we met up in Starbucks of Pahlawan shopping centre. After a while, we manage to get to the topic of high school life, then to friends that he think I might know that he know too. And guess what?! Turns out, he is somewhat related to a friend who is somewhat distantly related to me.

Man! All of a sudden, I have a cousin brother!

Distant cousin brother to be exact. By the end of the day, I manage to figure out our relationship. He ended up being my mother’s elder sister’s husband’s younger sister’s son. And the mutual friend or distant relative that we mentioned is my mother’s elder sister’s husband’s elder brother’s daughter’s son, which makes him our somehow our distant nephew?

Complicated indeed~~

So earlier in the evening, we decided to visit a café that was opened by our mutual cousin. The cousin that linked us together, that makes him my mother’s elder sister’s eldest son.

The shock he has.. haha… seeing us together. It was a fun night indeed. In one night, I manage to have tea with both of my cousin brother, one of which 8 years older and another 17 years older.


So… What have I learned?


Don’t date anyone from the same hometown. You never know what you’ll find out no matter how well you think you know the person. -.-

Share:

16 kissed Nicole

  1. Happy Birthday Nicole! May all your wishes come true and all the good things coming your way...

    Now 1 year wiser d, dun noti ya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I am gonna wish you a very happy 23rd first... mmuahahhaa... Happy birthday Nicole!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday too :).
    Strange indeed...
    "the world is becoming a global village", Marshall McLuhan. Guess .... people's 'interconnectedness' do make sense in some way here ...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Nicole.
    Lots of Love from Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy B-Day, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Malacca sounds so similar to Brunei where it's citizen (especially the malays and a fair number of 3rd generation local chinese) are distantly related to each other. Plus its a way smaller town. So imagine........ Anyone could be dating their own distant cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy birthday nicole !

    you dont know me but i know you !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Nicole!

    Oh what's a shame this is last minute info otherwise I could have flown to your party from Kota Kinabalu...! Pity my name is not Clark Kent lol..

    Have fun anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday Nicole!

    Isn't dating some super distant cousin (I think from third level onwards) supposed to be considered alright or something? Mother's sister's husband's sister's husband's nephew/niece.
    Anyway I wouldn't want to either...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heya! =)

    I know this is gonna sound super random but yeah ahaha..

    I randomly looked up 'purebar' on blog search and i came across your blog

    Have been pretty sleep deprived lately, but i must say this particular post is very entertaining indeed, specially that 'everyone's connected to each other in Malacca part' i laughed my lungs out while readin' it..lolz!..i kinda agree with it though..

    Then i randomly looked up several other post; found them all pretty entertaining as well!

    Quite a colourful blog you've got here, thanks for the laughs .. i guess i can finally get me some sleep now, haha~

    Cheerz! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heya! =)

    I know this is gonna sound super random but yeah ahaha..

    I randomly looked up 'purebar' on blog search and i came across your blog

    Have been pretty sleep deprived lately, but i must say this particular post is very entertaining indeed, specially that 'everyone's connected to each other in Malacca part' i laughed my lungs out while readin' it..lolz!..i kinda agree with it though..

    Then i randomly looked up several other post; found them all pretty entertaining as well!

    Quite a colourful blog you've got here, thanks for the laughs .. i guess i can finally get me some sleep now, haha~

    Cheerz! =)

    ReplyDelete