Smiling Cashier

Carrefour was launched in Melaka just last year. Being a Melakan, after returning from China, I decided to pay a visit, catch a movie with Christopher and walk around for some pre-movie snacks in the supermarket below.

I always wonder, is it pronounced as Car-FOUR? or Car-FOO? I always switch my pronunciation whenever I feel like. Like my neutral preference between saying Ikea as e-kia or the british proper ai-ki-a.

Anyway, when I was checking out with my chocolate M&Ms at the cashier, I saw this sign right next to the cashier counter.

pls tell me if i don't smile sign


And then I looked at the cashier himself.

cashier


Nope. He wasn't smiling.

He was, however, busy moving my stuff from one side, flashing across the barcode reader and placing them into the plastic bag next.

I was eye-ing him all the while, flashing my camera at him every now and then and still he didn't smile!

not smiling


When he lifted his head, I eyed him eye to eye with such intensity he froze and looked dead right back at me.

He was probably wondering what he did wrong to draw such glare from me.

I continued to look at him with appalled look and directed my finger, arm straight, at the sign placed next to the cashier and exclaimed:

"You did not smile!"


And like a butterly spreading its wings for the first time.

He smiled~~~

smiling cashier


Don't you just love smiling cashier? *smile*

Share:

23 kissed Nicole

  1. Customer prefer natural smile casher! He did smile, but artificial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, this is what I call a feel good post! I like it, it made me smile! :D

    By the way I can assure you that Carrefour is pronounced Car-foo, it's because the name is French. (and did you know that the Carrefour logo is a C in a diamond?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did confused on the Carrefour pronunciation last time. "Care-4", "Car-Re-4" but never thought of "Car-Foo"... :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes cannot blame them, as this is a routine job with no fun! Anyway, generally I feel the Jusco guys comparatively are better....anyone agree with me?
    As for pronunciation, a friend of mine told me is "Ca foo",,,coz it is French word.I agree with WP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahahaha...nice one! You prolly freaked the poor fella out but nice work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, it is pronounce as "car-foo" but most singaporeans pronounce it as "carry four"... i dont know why tho...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrefour has reality tv show staring this saturday 7:30pm at TV3, I will be in that show, do watch it if u r free. duniaku.com mtsen.com

    btw, starting this year, the 'correct' way to say it is CAFE-FOR

    as if care for you .... this apply to Malaysia Carrefour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oo ... just read wp's comment, he was right about French and Car-foo, however, Carrefour strongly supports localization and that's why Malaysia and Singapore Carrefour has decided for us to call them Care-For instead. It just started this year ... and you may start seeing that on this Saturday 7:30pm show 18 Oct 2008

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best read of the day so far...

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's car-fo my dear and it's french. car-fo=intersections(like intersections btwns roads..) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nicole,thanks for the dragon fruit soap...having a great shower now...Tommy Vietnam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forgive him for not smiling...
    Nice teeth, how to show off leh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahahaha..nicole indirectly forcing him to smile.. kidding la

    ReplyDelete
  14. this was funny...
    he is cute
    /Jacky

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice blog...=) Keep it up with ur books ya...=)

    ReplyDelete
  16. so cute.... I'm going to Carrefour and see if the cashier smiles!

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Right or Wrong the customer is always right, so u jolly well smile.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heh! This post made me smile and I'm not even the cashier at Carrefour. ;)

    I pronounce it Car-FOO and e-ke-ya respectively, I don't know if it's right or wrong, but I insist on pronouncing it like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! He must be a nice and friendly cashier, he smiled to you when you told him he did not smile.

    If other people surely will show you more dulan face after you said that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. lol nicole why i didnt notice one when i visit there.. hey tak ajak me lo.. =( ^^

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha... I can see deep in his heart, he's actually screaming, "what's wrong with her?"

    :P

    p/s: I like this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, seem to me that melaka has change a bit, more smiley, but more bad faces on the traffic..
    Miss my hometown,
    Been couple of months I have not return home..

    ReplyDelete