Holiday Inn Chiang Mai Review


Chiang Mai has never really struck me as an appealing city to travel to, sure there are plenty of hipster cafes, night markets, and cool temples in town to explore, but there seems to be a missing element of allure that made me want to go back for more. 

Though I admit the last time I was here, I had tons of fun (granted, it was Songkran Festival); and given that 9 years have established since I last set foot here, it was high time I gave this much beloved city another chance. 



After spending a week in the countryside of North Eastern Thailand (read my list of 9 road less taken places in Thailand), all I really wanted was a no-fuss well facilitated hotel with proper service to recharge before moving on my journey up North. 

Holiday Inn came highly recommended to me, and I was connected to the extremely friendly manager Mayy; who in her director's blessed heart, upgraded me to the executive room.

One thing I really appreciate about staying in Holiday Inn Chiang Mai was this: upon arriving at the airport, I didn't need to fret about addresses, I only need to mention "Holiday Inn" and everyone from information to taxi driver knew instantly where to bring me. The affair was pretty straightforward. 

Got my luggage, got in a taxi, bam, I am ready for check in (didn't even need to carry my own bags). Bliss. I'm sure flash packers can relate to this. 

Back to the hotel. Walking into the room took me by surprise. The room was massive, a rarity in modern Chiang Mai given the increasing land value in recent years. Holiday Inn is an old but well maintained establishment with 45 sqm of space in each room (85sqm for their suites, 526 rooms in total), that includes a long wardrobe corridor, office desk, toilet with separate shower room and bath tub, all from the price of RM240 or 1850 baht after tax (~USD56) per room per night on Agoda. 

That's insanely affordable if you ask me. 
Breakfast for two and room with river view will require an additional RM110.


At 25th floor, best sunset view in Chiang Mai. 


Strong water pressure with constant stream of hot water meant I took my opportunity to properly wash my hair. My king-sized bed was clean, soft and came with soft and firm pillows. I had the best sleep in over a week. 

Swimming pool was basic at best, the gym looked more promising though I didn't utilise it either. I did, however, take a shuttle from the hotel to the night market located few minutes away in the evening, which was really convenient. And provided me with enough entertainment for my first day of arrival. 



You could easily spend several hours just walking from end to end at the night market. 

The next morning I got down to have breakfast. Holiday Inn serves an international buffet spread, which meant you get the basic sushi, pancakes, rice and noodles, pastries and jams, salad and fruits; the highlight was of course, the bacons. And kudos to the chef for making scramble eggs on point. 

The ups: 
Very spacious, clean and comfortable room at a great price. It can't get better. It also has the best view of Chiang Mai from their executive river view rooms. The name of the hotel is well known throughout the city so you don't need to worry about getting lost in Chiang Mai, just ask any local and anyone can direct you back to your hotel. Concierge and receptions were both very helpful and spoke sufficient English that allowed easy adjustment for any first time visitors to the country. There's parking for anyone who has a car. 

The downs: 
While being close to the Chiang Mai's night bazaar is a plus point, it's pretty far from all the artsy and cool hip places of Chiang Mai located in the North West, and a little distance away from the old town of Chiang Mai in the East where all the touristy sights are. Holiday Inn is located at a rather inconvenient location of South Eastern part of Chiang Mai. However this is easily solved if you have a car or are open to hiring a taxi or getting an Uber ride. 

The neutrals: 
The hotel is a little dated. But the upkeep is great. Despite the years, the rooms and lobby are very well maintained. 

Verdict: 
Business purpose and a quick stop over makes this hotel an excellent choice given its convenience and services. The key elements are no fuss, comfortable, clean, spacious and worry-free. If you want a hotel that's situated in the hub of everything, this is not the hotel for you. Other than the night market, you would need to drive/ride a little distance to get anywhere. For the price, the service and room (with view) you get are unbeatable.  



Holiday Inn ChiangMai
318/1 Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road
Tumbol Wat Kate
Amphur Muang 
Chiang Mai 50000 Thailand 
Contact: +66 53 275300


Rating: 
Cleanliness: 5/5
Comfort: 4.5/5 
Service: 4.5/5
Value: 5/5
Food: 3/5* (based on breakfast buffet alone)
Location: 3.5/5
Facilities: 3.5/5
Ambience: 3/5 















Share:

0 kissed Nicole